Blogger Anne-Laure of Nana Voyage has shared her favourite spots in her hometown of La Rochelle!
For a stroll:
- I would advise you to check out Orbigny Park (Parc d'Orbigny) near the casino, along the sea. It's a shaded peaceful and verdant park which offers a beautiful view of La Rochelle. It's next to the city center, just a few steps away in fact, ideal to be discovered after a shopping trip.
- I also recommend the Stella Maris path (Allée Stella Maris) which is located in the Minimes District (Les Minimes). Take a bus or a boat, or a bike to visit this area. You can find a famous lighthouse there and the Marina. It's very flowery. You have playground for children in front of the sea.
- Don't miss the Maritime Museum district, near the Aquarium of La Rochelle. You have beautiful boats, it's very colourful.
- For shopping, go to Saint-Nicolas street. Decoration, clothes, restaurant, i love strolling in this lively district.
For a dip in the ocean:
- You have 2 beaches : one closed to the city center (Plage de la Concurrence) Concurrence Beach and an other one in the Minimes'District, (Plage des Minimes), bigger than Concurrence. Between us, the best beaches are in Ré Island (île de Ré).
For a gourmet break :
- La Fabrique à Burgers : in Saint Nicolas Street. The best burgers in La Rochelle.
- Teatro Bettini : near the Market District: best italian restaurant.
- Iséo : near the Chaine Tower (Tour de la Chaîne): taste the local seafood.
- Label Fabrique: near the Market District: traditionnal cooking during the week and burgers on Saturdays.
Photos courtesy of Anne-Laure of Nana Voyage.
Anne-Laure's Guide to La Rochelle